In this election year, we need to hear from African American families directly affected by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the surge and the plans of the next president.
Georgia active duty military, National Guard, reserves, veterans and families, please use this blog to say what is on your minds. I want to start this discussion by saying that we support the troops in my community because so many of them are our fathers, mothers, son, and daughters. For me that support includes monitoring the White House to make sure that war plans and actions make common sense.
The military has long provided an opportunity for minority upward mobility and a ticket away from southern suppression but, today the South is the place to be and governmental leaders are quick to send troops into harm’s way. They say veterans are the most cautious Americans when it comes to declaring war. I get chills when I think that south Georgia soldiers were facing fire for freedom in Vietnam and their mothers could not order a piece of pie at Woolworth’s—He brought us from a mighty long way.
Let’s start this thread with a list of possible topics:
- Is the surge working?
- Are we spending money building infrastructure in Iraq that should be spent in America?
- Would McCain or Obama be better for military families?
- Can someone be an effective commander in chief without military experience? i.e. Obama, Palin
- Are African American military personnel and their families offended when extremists question the Obamas patriotism?
- Do military families sometimes feel that they signed up for defense and not nation building? Is national building part of denfense?
- Are African American military personnel generally politically conservative?
- Are defense contractors positive or negative to military missions in war zones?
- Can we agree that we should ignore collateral damage if we get absolute intel that Bin Laden is in a house or building.
- Do people around the world dislike Americans in general or our governmental and cooperate leaders actions in particular?