I recently wrote about actress Dorothy Dandridge starring in the film Carmen Jones. Hallie Berry played Dandridge in a cable T.V. biopic and we all shook our heads during the infamous Las Vegas pool scene. Dandridge was performing at a Vegas hotel and decided to good for a swim. After putting only her toe in the water, she was informed that she could not swim there. It gets worst; the hotel management promptly drained the pool.
On a related issue, some members of GOP are pushing a purity test to determine which candidates deserve their party’s support; talk about your playing with fire. If they don’t wanted candidates who can pass their test, they obliviously don’t want moderate Democrats voters who vote for GOP candidates since any Democrats would be left of the GOP moderates they are targeting.
Okay, how many Democrats voted for Georgia’s current GOP governor, two GOP U.S. senators, GOP congressmen and countless members of the state legislature. “Watch out how” with your purity test or a bunch of voters will be saying, “I failed the GOP purity test and all I got was this Blue Dog T-shirt.”
In my circle of friends, we talk about the “Deal-Breaker” list on dating and marriage. It always starts at a party or cookout with some woman listing the items that will take a man off her list with a quickness: former drug use, baby mommas drama, Down Low, bad teeth, bad credit, no car, no house, did serious jail time, bad grammar, short, heavy drinker, didn’t vote for Obama or McCain, no library card, doesn’t know where the library is, wears baseball hat pointed to the side, has no class and doesn’t listen to jazz, doesn’t know the channel for HGTV or CNN, and dated her friend in junior high.
Come to think about it, we all have test and list on some level. Here’s my list: she knows about Kanye West and Taylor Swift but never heard of Dorothy Dandridge and Lizz Wright; she has bootleg copies of every Madea movies but rarely watches Spike Lee films; and she didn’t know there are different types of lettuce. “That looks like grass to me…don’t get me salad dressing, pass me some Roundup.” Sweetheart is fine but she’s got to go…purity test and all.
Introducing Dororthy Danridge: 0:40 mark: pool scene
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Republican National Committee identifies ten (10) key public policy positions for the 2010 election cycle, which the Republican National Committee expects its public officials and candidates to support: (1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;
(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run healthcare;
(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;
(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;
(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;
(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;
(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;
(8) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;
(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and
(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership; and be further
RESOLVED, that a candidate who disagrees with three or more of the above stated public policy position of the Republican National Committee, as identified by the voting record, public statements and/or signed questionnaire of the candidate, shall not be eligible for financial support and endorsement by the Republican National Committee; and be further
RESOLVED, that upon the approval of this resolution the Republican National Committee shall deliver a copy of this resolution to each of Republican members of Congress, all Republican candidates for Congress, as they become known, and to each Republican state and territorial party office.